Monday, October 21, 2013

Dare To Do Good!

I used to think I was a "self-made man." I prided myself on having been "on my own" since the age of 18. I put myself through college. I worked hard. I earned the promotions and the sales. Me, me, me! What a crock!!

I recently came across a letter written to me by a married couple I knew while I was at Texas A&M. I have held on to it for almost 30 years. It was a letter of encouragement. It also was given to me on the day they, out of nothing but the goodness of their hearts, bought the diamond that went into my Aggie Ring. This was a big deal. I was putting myself through college and funds were extremely tight. I was very blessed that I could even afford to buy the ring. But one of the traditions for a lot of Aggies is to put a diamond in the shield of the ring. I barely bought the ring and there was no way I could purchase the diamond. This kind couple said they wanted to do something nice for me and asked permission to purchase my diamond for me. Wow! As I read the words in that letter, all these years later, tears welled up in my eyes as I recalled how moved I was back then by their generosity and how much that meant to a 21 year-old kid just beginning his career.

It got me thinking of all the people who had helped me along the way to become the person I am today. Teachers going above and beyond what they were paid to do, coaches providing lessons both on and off the field, employers giving opportunities of which I was unqualified (but accepted anyway), friends, family members and even complete strangers encouraging me, and, above all, the Creator of the universe providing me a plan for my life bigger than I could have ever imagined on my own.

So here's our challenge this Monday, October 21st, 2013; recognize those who made a difference in our lives. Remember the impact they had, and in the my case, continue to have to this day. Then, take action to seek out those we can help. It may not be the purchase of a diamond for a school ring but it can be wisdom shared we've gathered over the years, a helping hand for someone who can't accomplish a certain task, or simply a smile and a nod at the grocery store. We have no idea what people are going through today. It's amazing what a small, random act of kindness can do for someone in need.

One of the most impactful books I read in college was, "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. She had another book entitled, "The Virtue of Selfishness." For too long, I bought into that philosophy. Can I blow that out of the water right now? Virtue is not in selfishness but in selflessness! It's time we take the focus off of our selves and start doing the things that matter most and those things are what matter most to others.

Imagine doing something so profound for one person, just one, that in thirty years, they'd be sharing what you did for them with everyone they come in contact with (or in a blog, perhaps). That's what life is all about. So, go out today, do good and make an impact! I dare you!!
"But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves." James 1:22

1 comment: