Monday, October 14, 2013

Are You Flying High?

Last week, I had the best flight of my life! American Airlines flight 2466 from Dallas-Ft. Worth to Indianapolis was incredible! By that, do I mean we took off on time, avoided turbulence, landed on time and everything went perfectly? Absolutely not! In fact, part of the reason this was the best flight EVER is in spite of, not the absence of, a major issue. One of the most bizarre I have ever witnessed before. And I believe there are a few lessons to be learned from this experience.

Prior to boarding, I was given the bad news that I would not be upgraded to First Class (darn all those Platinum-level frequent fliers!). So I boarded and sat in my assigned seat of 9D. Once the plane was almost ready to pull back, I noticed  the flight attendant kneeling down engaging in a conversation with the passenger in the last row of First Class, seat 6B. I then noticed the gate agent board the flight and join in the conversation with the flight attendant and the passenger. The gate agent then approached me and informed me that the lady in 6B was in the wrong seat and I would be moving up to First Class once she moved backed to 8A (YIPEE!). As the passenger got up and stepped backward to let me pass by her to take my "rightful place" in 6B, she said, "Fine, take that seat. I just had $4,000 stolen in the Admiral's Club along with the blanket that comforted my mother as she passed away!" And then she began to weep.

Without thinking, I replied, "Oh my, you know what? You've had much worse day than me, you go ahead and stay in First Class." Through her tears, she refused and then started accusing the gate agent of treating her rudely and disrespectfully. I tried one more time to let her keep the First Class seat but she declined. As I settled in, I could hear her continuing to talk. Her cries turned into ramblings about the seat, the theft, the rude gate agent, her mother's death, and much, much more. She grew louder and more emotional, becoming quite disruptive not only for the people sitting next to her but the entire front half of the plane.

As we pulled away from the gate, we heard over the intercom, "This is Captain Willie. Folks, I've been flying for 28 years and I've gotta tell you, of all nights ever to fly, you've picked, perhaps, the perfect night! We'll have you in Indianapolis in no time and we promise to take great care of you until we arrive!"

Shortly after that announcement, we sat 100 yards from the gate for 15 minutes. Then, we pulled back up to the gate because of a "mechanical problem." A few more minutes later and Captain Willie explained that they had to hook up to a certain machine to get the A/C working in the plane as the repair work continued and, as we waited, they would be opening the main door. A few minutes after that, the upset (and upsetting), former First Class passenger was exiting the plane. It turned out, Captain Willie had contacted the Admiral's Club regarding her claims and they were false. Her mentally unstable emotional outbursts were apparently the result of mixing Xanax and alcohol in the Admiral's Club.

Captain Willie and the flight attendants handled not only the situation, but the entire flight, with professionalism, grace, and humor. During the flight, Captain Willie  came on to recognize a "special passenger," Rebecca, who was celebrating her 22nd birthday. He had us all yell, "Happy Birthday, Rebecca!" and then had the flight attendants award her a bottle of champagne. After we landed, during taxi to the gate, he invited Rebecca to the the front of the plane to sit in the flight attendant's jump seat so she could be the first one off the plane.

What a great flight!

As I thought about this sequence of events, I realized there were lessons to be learned as we all try to fly higher in our own lives:

Lesson #1: Don't be afraid to set high expectations! Better to aim too high and miss than aim too low and hit! When Captain Willie made his first announcement, he wanted us to know we should expect a great flight.

Lesson #2: Along the way, there will be obstacles and distractions. Better to take them head on and deal with them. Once eliminated, the obstacle is no longer an obstacle and the distraction cannot distract. You are then able to move forward. Had the disruptive passenger been allowed to stay, I can assure you, no one would have enjoyed that flight.

Lesson #3: Once overcome, don't dwell on, or give power to, the obstacle any longer. Turn your attention and focus on something positive. Rebecca, the birthday girl, served that purpose for Captain Willie and crew with us, their passengers.

Final Lesson: Throughout the process; from expectation setting to dealing with distractions to the new focus, remain positive at all times! A positive mindset provides all parties involved with a better experience and outcome. The interactions we all shared with the good-natured, fun crew enhanced the experience of the flight tremendously between take off and touch down.

It was only after we landed and I reflected on why this was such a great flight that I realized the very thoughtful process Captain Willie and his exceptional crew went through to ensure our positive experience Absent the process, this could have been a very bad flight.

Review the lessons learned. See if there isn't some applicability to situations you're facing today and see if applying this process doesn't help you "fly higher!"
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]" - John 16:33 (AMP)

No comments:

Post a Comment