Monday, September 23, 2013

What's In Your Future?

Syria, terrorism, government shutdown, mass shootings, massive debt, and on and on.... There's so much negativity in the news today that makes one wonder what the future holds. If you're not careful, it can even create worry and anxiety. It's really easy to get caught up in the "macro" events occurring and lose focus on the "micro" choices we make that actually have the greatest impact.

Last November, in the fourth quarter of the sales year, I was in California on a business/personal trip. I was waiting for final confirmation from my number 1 prospect that they were ready to sign the contract. This would be the deal that put me over my quota and guarantee a trip to the Virgin Islands. When I got the text message it was not what was expected. In the 11th hour, the "powers that be" decided not to move forward with my company but, instead, go with the incumbent vendor. I looked at my wife and said, "Oh no!" It looked like the year was over and I would not make my number. I gave myself 30 seconds to mourn the loss. Too often, we spend too much time wallowing in self-pity and asking questions like, "Why did this happen to me? Why now?" At that moment, I knew I had a choice to make and I chose to focus on doing what I had to to bring in the business needed to get me to my number. On December 28th, I was able to secure a contract that put me over my number and was actually larger than the deal lost on November 7th. I learned that by focusing on what I could control and not on what had happened or the circumstances as they appeared on that November morning, I was able to accomplish my goal.

What is your attitude toward your future? Do you think things are out of control and headed in a downward spiral? Are there so many uncertainties in your life that they keep you up at night? Mortgages, relationships, career/job security (or lack thereof) all can contribute to an uneasiness about tomorrow.

I heard Zig Ziglar ask his audience a question a few years ago, "Are there things you could do today, tomorrow, and over the next two weeks that could negatively affect your life?" Then he asked a follow up question, "Are there things you could do today, tomorrow, and over the next two weeks that could positively affect your life?" The point is, we are in much more control of our future than we sometimes realize.

Your future should be giving you hope, not helplessness. It should be bright, not burdensome. Because of the choices you make today, your future is incredible!! I like what Tim Tebow said when asked about his future:
“I don't know what my future holds, but I do know who holds my future.”
Today, know that you and your choices are what will ultimately affect your future.

If your facing challenges or difficult times, choose the response that is going to be the most effective in mitigating the negative and positioning the positive outcome.

If you're in a great place right now and feel that your future is bright, seek out people you can help and provide encouragement to. You and your positive outlook could be the difference in someone's future.

Finally, realize the power and control you have over your future. Don't give that away. Use it to your advantage and watch the incredible life you deserve unfold before your eyes!


    "I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live;" - Deuteronomy 30:19 (NKJV)


No comments:

Post a Comment