Monday, September 9, 2013

Excellence Will Excel You!

"So, Craig, what do you do for a living?"

With that single question, asked a number of years ago, I was given the opportunity to share my philosophy with a new acquaintance.

"Well, I guess I'd have to say, I do as little as possible for as much as possible."

While somewhat humorous, it was not far from the truth and my reality at the time. What was really funny was her response.

"Oh, I'm in sales too!"

As I think back to that discussion almost a decade ago, I have to shake my head. I wasn't raised that way and I certainly didn't work like that...all the time. I had "glimpses of greatness" where I would shine but then, almost subconsciously, I would put it in neutral and coast for awhile. Then, when I would need to, I'd put my foot on the accelerator and do well again. This constant accelerate, coast, accelerate, coast activity had ingrained itself in me up to the day I had that interaction with my new acquaintance.

When I thought about my mindset a few days later, I became increasingly disgusted by it. Soon after that, I heard a pastor preach on having a "Spirit of Excellence" and everything changed. I found mentors who lived and taught on excellence, I read books on living an excellent life (if you don't have one, the Bible is an excellent place to start), and I began practicing excellence in everything I did.

Five years ago, I heard a presenter at a Toastmaster's event ask the audience a question. "What do you think the number one thing is that keeps people from achieving their dreams?" He got the expected answers of fear, procrastination, doubt, etc. He said those are all good answers but wrong. The number one thing that keeps people from achieving their dreams is "being good enough." Then he asked THE question. "Are you too good to be great?" Hmm...

Vince Lombardi, arguably the greatest coach and motivator of all time, said:
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."
For the last ten years, my Wife and I have chosen an attitude of excellence in every area of our lives and we hold each other accountable to it. It has paid off. One recent illustration of that: We've been in a rental house for two years as we've been deciding whether to buy or build a home. We decided to build. However, the way the timing would work out, we were going to have renew our lease for less than the full year and put the landlord in a tough spot. They'd be trying to rent the house out in January (not the best time to find new renters). After considering our request, the landlord called and said, "I know this doesn't make sense for us, Craig, but we'll agree to the partial year lease extension. You and Wendy have taken such good care of the house and yard, we want to pay it forward." Our attitude of excellence toward our rental house saved us the time, money, and aggravation of a double move before our new home was built.

This week, commit yourself to not settling for "good enough" and strive for excellence in all you do. Become known as the person who goes above and beyond to do it the best. If you'll commit yourself to choosing an attitude of excellence, you will find that excellence really will excel you!
    "His master said to him, Well done, you upright (honorable, admirable) and faithful servant! You have been faithful and trustworthy over a little; I will put you in charge of much. Enter into and share the joy (the delight, the blessedness) which your master enjoys." - Matthew 25:21 (AMP)
    "And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ." - Colossians 3:23&24 (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment