Monday, August 19, 2013

Overcoming Every Adversity

When I was 18 years old, my 39 year-old Mom had a brain aneurysm and died. Overnight, my whole world changed. Not only was she my Mom, she was my most enthusiastic encourager and the person I always wanted to please. Her death was, and still is, the greatest adversity I've ever faced.

With the passing of time, and facing other obstacles in life (none of which comes close to that traumatic event in 1983), I have come to realize the truth in a number of philosophical beliefs and quotes regarding adversity. Quotes like:

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Friedrich Nietzsche
"Let me embrace thee, sour adversity, for wise men say it is the wisest course." William Shakespeare
"Every adversity, every failure, every heartache, carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit." Napoleon Hill
"Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records." William Arthur Ward

I've faced the death of my Mom and other loved ones. I've lost jobs and deals as a salesman. I, like you, have stood at the base of a seemingly insurmountable mountain and begun the step-by-step process of climbing. It's never easy. Rarely is it enjoyable. However, there's no feeling like reaching the summit!

Today, I want to encourage you. If you're in the middle of a battle and the adversary seems too big, too strong, DON'T GIVE UP!! There is nothing you can't overcome!

Consider three things when facing any adversity:
  1. Time is on your side. You must continue, regardless the circumstances. In the words of Winston Churchill, "Never, never, never give up!" You will want to quit. The voices in your head will be screaming at you and your well-intentioned friends will be advising you to give up. Don't you dare! "Joy comes in the morning!" Psalm 30:5
  2. On the other side of this challenge, you're going to be better. You're going to realize you're stronger than you thought you were and you will be more able and willing to take on other challenges because of this new-found confidence! You truly are an overcomer! Jim Rohn used to say, "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better." After Mom died, I made a bold move and spent the summer in the Hill Country of Texas. I'd never spent that much time away from home. I came back to northern Minnesota to start college at a small university. With the friends I'd made in Texas, the opportunity was presented to move down and finish up at Texas A&M University. I did it. With the move to Texas, I've had a great career, met my incredible wife and have a daughter who is the most important person to both of us. None of this would have happened if I had not overcome the adversity of Mom's death and learned just how strong the human spirit is.
  3. And, finally, realize the power you possess in how you choose to respond to the adversity. Don't simply react, that's too easy and emotional. Choose your response and instead of the adversity controlling you, you will control it. The first morning I woke up as a motherless young man, I laid in bed and realized I had a choice to make. I could be depressed and angry at these circumstances or I could choose a different path. That morning, I chose to ask myself, "What would Mom want me to do?" That choice gave me the clarity and courage to get up and go on.
Stick it out, know you're going to be better and stronger if you do, and choose to take control of the adversity by choosing your response to it! Do these things and I promise you you'll be able to overcome every adversity!
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]"                                          - John 16:33 (AMP)


1 comment:

  1. Craig, This was really good. Having lost both parents and a spouse I know the decision not the react but to challenge yourself to overcome is a decision made sometimes on a minute by minute basis. It does get easier. Thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete