Monday, August 26, 2013

Impact of Associations

I've been on a lot of teams in my life; sports teams, sales teams, fundraising teams, etc. With these teams, I've enjoyed the incredible highs of winning, the pain of losing, and everything in between. I've been in relationships and had friendships with all kinds of different people. Like you, I have varying levels and degrees of friendships and acquaintances. Over the last few years, I've become much more aware of the impact those people around me can have on my journey toward the fulfillment of my goals.

One of my mentors, Jim Rohn, used to say, "You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with." When I heard that the first time, I had to stop and re-evaluate who I chose to spend my time engaging with and being influenced by. As with most things in life, we have all the power. We have the power to choose. We choose who we associate with and how much influence they have.

I've been a part of teams that far exceeded anyone's expectations simply because each team member elevated the others by their positivity and never-say-die attitude. Conversely, I have seen the "one bad apple" syndrome and experienced first-hand, what a little negativity from just one person can do to an entire group.

A few years ago, I joined a software company in Houston known for it's positive culture. I was coming from a company that was lacking in customer satisfaction along with a reputation for poor employee morale. I was happy to make the move and, during one of the first sales team meetings at my new employer, the Director of Sales, Bill, entered the room. He was smiling. He was energetic. And his only comment during our meeting blew me away. He said, "As you work with your prospective clients, you let me know what you need and I'll make it happen. Your success is my number one priority and I'll do whatever it takes to make sure you win!" WOW! Did that have an impact on me and our team. We went on to blow away our numbers and I learned just how powerful a positive association can be to overall success.

Personally, I've had close relationships with both types of people, negative and positive. The negative created an environment where, at the end of a long day, I sat in my vehicle in my driveway and didn't want to enter my own home. The positive provides me with what Zig Ziglar called, "home court advantage." This relationship is the most important and cherished I have. I know with this person in my life, there's nothing I can't achieve. What a difference a relationship makes!

Today, as you evaluate those who are closest to you and the impact they are having on your life, remember that you are the final authority on who has what influence on you. With each conversation, determine if that person is someone you should be spending more or less time with. Life is too short and there's too much to do to allow the "Debbie Downers" we all come in contact with to exert too much control and influence in our lives. Toxic people take too much time and energy. They will rob you of the energy you need to achieve your goals.

Make sure you're hanging out with people who are going to lift you up and not bring you down. If you'll make a conscious effort, this week, to do that, I guarantee you'll see a dramatic upturn in your outlook and progress toward the achievement of your goals!
"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers [do not make mismated alliances with them or come under a different yoke with them, inconsistent with your faith]. For what partnership have right living and right standing with God with iniquity and lawlessness? Or how can light have fellowship with darkness?" 2 Corinthians 6:14 (AMP)


No comments:

Post a Comment