Monday, November 25, 2013

Giving Thanks For Everything!

When I was 18 years old, my mom, suddenly and tragically, passed away. Sitting at a basketball game, she got a headache. A few short days later, she died from a brain aneurysm. To this day, when someone says they have a headache, I can't help but "go there" for just a moment. Right now you're probably thinking, "What a strange way for a blog titled, 'Observations of an Optimist,' to start." Not really. Let me explain.

Everyone, even optimists, has to deal with tragedies, setbacks, and disappointments. I have met people who suffered horrible abuse as a child. I know others who were born with birth defects that should have debilitated them. Death is part of life and we all have, or will have, to deal with loss. But what I learned from going through the loss of my mom and from the stories of people like Joyce Meyer and Nick Vujicic is that it's not what happens to you, it's how you respond to what happens to you that really matters.

I was watching one of the NFL pre-game shows yesterday. They did a story about the decisions the NFL had to make 50 years ago immediately following the assassination of President Kennedy. Part of the decision-making process whether to play or not to play the scheduled games included the question, "What would President Kennedy want us to do?" I was reminded of a decision I had to make just a couple of days after mom died. Would I play in one of my last high school basketball games or not? Everyone would have understood if I hadn't but I found myself asking, "What would mom want me to do?" Talk about a powerful question! The NFL games were played as scheduled and I participated in my basketball game too.

As we gather this week for Thanksgiving, can I encourage you to be thankful for everything? I'm not advocating giving thanks for the losses, setbacks, and/or disappointments in your life but you can be thankful for the results. While I wish my mom was still here with me, I am extremely thankful for the time I had with her. I'm thankful for the man I've become because of what I had to endure as a result of losing her at such a young age. I don't think I'd be near as independent-minded as I am. I would have made very different decisions in my life had she still been here and that would mean I wouldn't have my wife, Wendy, or our incredible daughter, Victoria. I can't imagine a life without them in it.

Joyce Meyer has said if she could, she would not go back and remove the horrible abuse she endured for years at the hands of her father. Why? Because it's that experience that has made her what she is today and it's her story that helps change people's lives all over the world.

Nick Vujicic will tell you if he could be born with arms and legs he would choose not to. He knows the impact he's having in the lives of youth, as well as adults, globally.

This Thanksgiving, be sure to give thanks for everything!
"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

3 comments:

  1. Amen Craig. How we respond . . . the things we DO control, are paramount and the growth that we receive as we mature in our faith as well as in our humanity are why we are to give thanks in ALL circumstances. I have heard success defined as: get knocked down 5 times, get up 6. I would add that how we get up is just as important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Craig...Thanks for your transparency on your Mom's early passing. I just attended my Mom's funeral last Saturday. At 88, she lived a full life and finished the race well. We are giving thanks this season for a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never ceases to amaze me what people endure, overcome, and use as a way to serve others. We've been uniquely crafted. As I reflect on my life, I know there are things I've encountered to help me serve others ever since. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete